What's The Latest?
What's The Latest?
Winners of Acorn Awards 2017 revealed
The winners of the 31st Acorn Awards have been announced, in celebration of 30 of the industry’s most talented stars aged under 30.
The Acorn Award recipients are due to officially collect the ACT Clean-sponsored awards today, at a prize-giving lunch held at the privately owned, Grade I stately home and five-AA-red-star hotel Cliveden House in Taplow, Berkshire. They will be presented by The Caterer editor Amanda Afiya, and ACT Clean chief executive, John Stevenson.
The Stafford London’s general manager, Stuart Procter, who won an Acorn Award in 2000, will also address the winners.
The annual awards seek to highlight and celebrate the achievements of 30 brightest prospects, with each winner nominated by their peers for their outstanding ability in their field.
This year’s winners come from a wide variety of sectors and departments.
The winners arrived at Cliveden House on Sunday for a celebratory weekend including a welcome dinner plus a team-building exercise led by activity organisers Team Spirit, testing their problem-solving, strategy and teamwork skills.
Cliveden House managing director Andrew Stembridge, who hosted the Acorn Awards at sister property Chewton Glen last year, said: “We are delighted to be hosting the 31st Acorn Awards at one of our properties once again this year. The awards identify the extraordinary talent in our wonderful industry and we are delighted to have them all with us here at Cliveden House for what will be a very significant occasion in their careers.”
Stevenson commented: “We are delighted to sponsor the Acorn Awards for the sixth consecutive year, and are thrilled to play a part in recognising the incredible careers to date of each of our winners. We are always in awe of the calibre of the winners, and this year is no different.”
The 2017 Acorn Award winners:
• Dale Bainbridge, head chef, Pollen Street Social, London
• Tommy Banks, chef-proprietor, the Black Swan at Oldstead, North Yorkshire
• Liam Barrie, managing director, the Marram Grass, Newborough, Anglesey
• Afees Bello, back of house manager, the Beaumont, London
• Sarah Bowman, conference and events manager, Wivenhoe House hotel, Colchester, Essex
• Thomas Brown, head chef, the Capital Hotel, London
• Callum Curtis-Bennett, deputy general manager, Westminster School, London, the Brookwood Partnership (CH&Co Group)
• Cassie Delaney-Brown, marketing manager, the Stafford London
• Holly Dixon, human resources manager, the London Edition
• Irene Forte, group project director, Rocco Forte Hotels
• Martin Frickel, sous chef, the Forest Side, Grasmere, Cumbria
• Laura Godman, group learning & development manager, Eden Hotel Collection
• Dominic Heywood, founder, Flat Cap Hotels
• Phil Hornby, head of public operations, Fabulous Fan Fayre
• Paul Hunter, dual site hotel manager, Premier Inn, Whitbread
• Helen Hutchinson, general manager, Jockey Club Catering
• Florence Macfarlane, finance director, the Genuine Dining Co
• Sam Matthews, general manager, the Assembly House, Nortwich
• Hayley McGarrell, assistant head concierge, Amba Hotel Charing Cross
• Martin Miller, head of residential services, University of Leicester
• Adam Mohammed, guest relations manager, Hilton Newcastle Gateshead
• Becky Nowell, group sales and revenue manager, Philema Hospitality Management
• James O’Keeffe, reception manager, the Manor House, Castle Combe, Wiltshire
• Scott Paton, head chef, Boringdon Hall, Colebrook, Devon
• Doug Sanham, head chef, the Beacon, Tunbridge Wells, Kent
• Bradley Shough, cluster general manager, Corus Hotels
• Scott Smith, chef-patron, Norn, Edinburgh
• Gordon Stott, landlord and head chef, the Sun Inn, Basingstoke, Hampshire
• Benjamin Veale, reservations manager, the Ritz London
• Dean Westcar, head chef, Lucknam Park Hotel & Spa, Colerne, Wiltshire
Find out about the experiences of some of our other apprentices
Download our guide to get all the information you need on Apprenticeships and the Levy!
Want advice on jobs, courses or your next step? Speak to one of our experts…
Is it time for you to progress your career with us? Join our team and #ComeUnderOurUmbrella...