Recruiting and retaining people has long been a challenge for the hospitality sector. The sector faces a number of misconceptions, such as low pay, long unsociable hours, limited opportunities to develop and not offering long-term careers.
People 1st International, along with our key partners, is keen to support industry in attempts to change this perception and highlight the diverse opportunities and fantastic careers available and to show that the industry is changing for the better. This can only be done if industry works together and commits to being an ‘employer of choice’, providing good quality training, work-life balance and support to their people.
To support this, Umbrella Training have signed up to ‘Our Hospitality Commitment’ – a voluntary code of conduct and to work with People 1st International, educational institutions and our partners to promote the hospitality industry as a rewarding career choice.
Golden rules to help attract future talent and retain current people:
- A training / development plan is in place for each employee
- Job rotation and cross training regularly takes place
- Work-life balance is part of daily life
- Including the issuing of schedules/rosters in a timely manner
- Days off allocated where requested and split or together as per the employee requirements.
- Holidays approved or rejected in a timely manner
- Shift patterns such as late-early or back-to-back included in schedule / rosters, as agreed by employee
- Everyone receives regular feedback and has the opportunity to give constructive feedback
- There are recognition tools in place to thank individuals and teams for their performance
- All roles are advertised internally and internal candidates are given the opportunity to apply for new roles
- Everyone is treated with respect
- Key personnel are encouraged to build relationships with local schools, colleges and universities and support them in promoting the hospitality industry as a reputable career choice
- Third party safeguarding / employee assistance support is available to all
- Mental health, human trafficking and modern slavery awareness is available to all
For more information and to sign up visit: