What's The Latest?
What's The Latest?
Institute of Hospitality Awards Celebrate the Best in People Development and Business Excellence
More than 270 hospitality professionals came together this week to celebrate best practice in people development and business at the Institute of Hospitality Annual Dinner & Awards.
After welcoming guests, chief executive Peter Ducker FIH took a moment to recognise the generous and caring actions of many hospitality teams in response to the recent terrorist attacks and the Grenfell Tower fire, such as the Novotel London West which donated truckloads of bed linen, toiletries and other supplies to survivors.
The Institute of Hospitality Awards 2017 were then announced at the event on Tuesday 20 June at the Montcalm Hotel, Marble Arch. They are as follows:
- Outstanding Contribution to the Industry Award – Julia Sibley MBE FIH, chief executive, The Savoy Educational Trust
- Best Graduate Scheme Winner – The Dorchester Collection UK Hotels
- Best Student Placement Winner – Hilton UK & Ireland
- Talent Development Team of the Year Winner – Four Seasons Hotel London at Park Lane
- Best Graduate Scheme Highly Commended – BaxterStorey (WSH)
- Talent Development Team Highly Commended – The Ritz London
- Level 3 Learner of the Year – Alexandra Jandošeková, BaxterStorey
- Level 4 Learner of the Year 2017 – Maja Duzowska, BaxterStorey
For nearly 20 years, Julia Sibley has been instrumental in promoting and providing scholarships to develop and enhance education, training and continual professional development opportunities for countless individuals.
“I cannot think of anyone who is more deserving of this award. Julia has made an outstanding contribution to helping young people into our industry,” said Alistair Storey OBE FIH, the president of the Institute (pictured above right with Julia Sibley and Institute chair Stephen Kyjak-Lane FIH).
Sibley said: “I love working for the Savoy Educational Trust and this award is for the whole team. Some people say to me that it must be easy to give the money away, but it isn’t easy to put the money where it is going to have real lasting value for our industry.”
The judges were so impressed with the attention to detail put forward in the nominations that they decided to award highly commended awards for both the Best Graduate Scheme and Talent Development Team. These went to BaxterStorey(WSH) and The Ritz London respectively.
Ducker commented: “This is the first year we have expanded our new awards and the response was truly phenomenal with so many high-calibre entries. We want to thank everyone who took the time to participate and look forward to your nominations next year.”
The 2017 Hospitality Assured Awards were also announced during the evening. The winners are:
- Team of the Year – Bloomsbury Hotel, London (pictured below)
- Hospitality Assured Champion – Steve Price, CEO, City Catering, Southampton
- Most Improved Score – Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi – Facilities, Operations & Maintenance
- Best UK Newcomer – EMCOR UK on Three
Hospitality Assured is the quality standard created by the Institute of Hospitality specifically for customer facing businesses. It enables businesses to reach and exceed their full potential by following world-class processes, customer service standards and employee engagement. The Institute of Hospitality Annual Dinner & Awards were generously supported by the venue sponsor The Montcalm Marble Arch, EPoS software provider Lolly, staff rota experts Planday, and Dresscode, who supplied the staff uniforms. The gin aperitif was provided by Brockmans, the wines by Jascots and the coffee by Tchibo.
Find out about the experiences of some of our other apprentices
Download our guide to get all the information you need on Apprenticeships and the Levy!
Want advice on jobs, courses or your next step? Speak to one of our experts…
Is it time for you to progress your career with us? Join our team and #ComeUnderOurUmbrella...